Orange City, FL.
41 deg. clear, NW wind @ 10 mph.
Forecast today = high temp. 58 deg. sunny, NW wind @ 15 to 20 mph.
About the biggest thing that happened around here yesterday was the weather. It rained heavily at times during the morning, and then all of a sudden, the wind switched directions and the temperatures started dropping. In less than an hour, the temperature dropped 11 degrees!! Then, just before sundown, the sun finally came out, but by that time, it was too late to warm anything up. For the next 5 days, the high temperature is only expected to be in the 50's and the lows in the high 20's or low 30's.
Folks, for Florida, that's COLD!!!!
Oh, kind of on the same line, I wanted to tell you what my electric bill was for December. I don't know what the cost is per KWH, but I my cost averaged almost exactly $3 a day. Now, let me explain what that electricity is being used for.
First of all, Jim and Linda have been running my 2 built-in electric heaters whenever they have felt cool. They have not tried to conserve much at all on the heat, and have used them frequently. And, when it has gotten hot inside of me, they have run one or both of my air conditioners as needed to stay comfortable. Second, my water heater is running on electricity, and has not been turned off or switched to propane since we've been here. Third, my refrigerator has been running on electricity the whole time, and has only been on propane once when the power went out for about an hour. Fourth, there have been quite a few loads of laundry done in my washer/dryer during the 31 day period of time, and finally, Fifth, Jim and Linda have used lights or any other electric appliances whenever they wanted to, and the Christmas decorations were lit many days, and almost all evenings for the entire time period.
Now, Jim and Linda don't waste electricity. They turn off all lights and appliances when not needed, but they did not really try to conserve during this period either. So... I don't think $3 per day was really too bad.
OK, now I can hear some of you asking, "Why is he telling me all of this?" Well, I know that some of the people who read this Blog are just getting into, or planning on getting into, this full-timing lifestyle and are wondering about the costs of living in an RV. So, I'm hoping this may help them a little.
Oh, and there's one more reason I'm telling you this. Some people think that RVs are energy hogs. Well, I may use a lot of fuel when I travel down the road, but I'm betting that most people can't heat/cool their homes and run everything else they need in their stix and brix houses for $3 worth of energy per day!
Did you know that beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells and then defecating. In other words, it's a nice tall glass of poo!!
Anyone care for a drink? ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for all the useful information you provide in your blog, it gives me a head up on what to expect in reference to full-timing. My husband and I plan on giving it a trial run in a couple of years and we're trying to get all the tips we can. Stay safe in your travels and keep up the good blog.
ReplyDelete