Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm Back For Now, Lake Delton,Tomahawk, WI, Land O Lakes and Ahmeek, MI

Ahmeek, MI.
56 deg. partly cloudy, no wind.
Forecast today High temp. 78 deg. partly cloudy, possible t-storms this evening, W wind @ 5 to 10 mph.

Monday, 7/19/2010

Well, I'm back for now. I'll try to get you caught up as best I can in the next day or so, providing that the Internet stays up. This post will cover the days of our trip up here to the Keweenaw Peninsula.


Tomahawk, WI. – Monday 7-12-2010

54 Deg. clear, no wind.
Forecast today = high temp. 80 deg. mostly sunny, NW wind @ 5 to 10 mph.

Well, the weather people on TV were all wet again, but we were nice and dry and not wet like they were saying we were going to be.;-)  The rain that they were forecasting just didn’t come and except for some clouds, it was pretty nice when Jim pulled me out of my site and drove me to the dump station to dump 11 days of black and gray water.

By the time my tanks were dumped and we were pulling away from the dump station it was just 10 minutes after 10:00.

From Lake Delton, we headed SE on I-90 to Portage where we took Rt 33 a few miles East to I-39 / US51 where we turned North and followed 39 / 51 up here to Tomahawk and the Tomahawk CG and RV Park, which is right next to and connected to the Tomahawk speedway. The CG is almost empty now, but I’ll bet it gets pretty full on weekends when they’re having races at the speedway.



The trip up here was uneventful. I-39 from Portage to Wasau is in very good condition, but once past Wasau, the road was kind of rough in places, but not too bad. This CG, on the other hand is not the best. Who ever designed the park knew nothing about RVs and how much room they need to get into the sites.

The sites are at a 90 deg angle to the road and not slanted at all, so you just about have to jockey around to back into most of them. Many of the sites are not level, and many are too short to accommodate anything larger than a medium sized trailer. There was no one at the office when we got here, and when the man that manages the park came back, he came to my site, knocked on my door and asked Jim how he had gotten me into site #38?

Jim told him that it wasn’t too hard to get me in here and he had chosen it because it was a full hook-up site and had good shade. The man said that they had never had a 40 MH in this site before, and didn’t think it was even possible! 

It was 1:20 when we pulled up to the stop sign by the office, so it took us 3 hours and 10 minutes to travel 167 miles.

A nice easy day. ;-)

We’ll be leaving here this morning and heading further North. I don’t know how far we’ll go, but I doubt if it will be too far. We’re really taking it easy because my reservation at Sunset Bay RV Resort doesn’t start until Wednesday, and we’ve got less than 200 miles to go.


Tuesday, 7/13/2010

Land O Lakes, WI – Tuesday 7/13/2010

59 Deg. partly cloudy, no wind.
Forecast today = high temp. 83 deg. partly sunny. Showers and t-storms this afternoon,

We left the CG in Tomahawk about 11:10 yesterday morning because we only had a short way to go and a long time to get there, ;-) and, we really didn’t want to get to this park before noon. The way it was, we got here at about 12:40, so even though we took our time, it only took us about an hour and a half to travel the 63 miles.

Oh, and I almost forgot!!!! Along the way, Jim pulled me into a gas station and bought me a nice big drink of that good old #2 diesel fuel!! :-)

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

From Tomahawk, we got onto US 8 and took it NE to Rhinelander where we turned North on Rt. 17. 17 took us up to Eagle River, where we got onto US 45 and took it up here to Land O Lakes, and the Borderline RV Park, which is just 1 ½ mile from the Michigan State Line.

This is a neat little park. Jim and Linda liked the “feel” of the park as soon as we turned in. There are a lot of seasonal RVs here, but the park is well maintained and someone has planted flowers at many different places. When we got here, we didn’t know just where to go, so Jim pulled me over to the side of the park entrance road and got out to check things out. As soon as he got out, a man came over from a 5th wheel and asked if he could be of any assistance. Well, Jim told him that when he had talked to the CG owner a few days ago, he had told him that I should go to site #2. Well, the man from the 5th wheel knew exactly where it was and showed Jim how to get me around to the site.

So, I’m sitting in a pull through, full hook-up site with 50 Amps that is quite level. I have some shade, and the view out of my windshield is of the forest.

I think I like it here too! :-)

Today, we’ll head up to the Sunset Bay RV Resort near the little town of Ahmeek, MI. It’s only about 100 miles from here, but it will be all 2 lane roads with a few cities to go through, so I’m thinking it’ll take me close to 3 hours to get there.

Hopefully I’ll have an Internet connection there.



Land O Lakes WI to Ahmeek MI - Friday, 7/16/2010

65 Deg. clear, 10 to 15 mph winds out of the West.
Forecast today = High temp. 72 deg. mostly sunny, W. winds @ 15 to 20 mph.

We left the CG in Land O Lakes about 9:15 on Wednesday morning because they were forecasting rain and possible t-storms in the afternoon, and Jim wanted to get to our destination and get me into a site before it all started if possible. It was just 111 miles up here by taking US 45 up to Rockland, then 26 over to Houghton, and then US 41 up to Ahmeek, where we turned off on Five Mile Point Road and followed it for about 7 miles until we came to the CG Road, (that is gravel and about .8 of a mile long), here to the Sunset Bay RV Resort & CG.

It was 11:40 when we pulled up in front of the office, so it took us about 2 hours and 25 minutes. And, we beat the rain! :-)

This CG is surely going to be one if Jim and Linda’s favorites. The site I’m in has a great view of the lake, and on the very first night, even though it rained most of the afternoon, we were treated to a beautiful sunset.

The family that’s running the park are very friendly and helpful. They have gone out of their way to make sure everything is to Jim and Linda’s satisfaction, and have said time and time again that if they needed anything, just ask.

There’s only a few sites available that you can get into with a large RV and some of those aren’t very level. This park was built back in the 40’s so they weren’t really concerned about RVs at all, as most of their customers were tenters.

When we got here in Wednesday, I was able to get on the Internet using the CG’s .Wi-Fi for a short time, but later in the afternoon, they were doing some construction work up on the highway, and they evidently damaged one of the repeater towers that this wi-fi uses.

So, the Internet to the CG is completely shut down, and I and a lot of the other people, including the CG owners, are trying to be patient.

I would sure like to publish these posts that are accumulating.

Did you know that at it's deepest point, Lake Superior is 1276' deep?
 
My next post will be published possibly later on today, or tomorrow morning, if I don't have any more trouble with the Internet. Please excuse any formatting errors as I've had trouble with that when I've copied and pasted from the word processor before.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to blogland, Myrddin! I was beginning to wonder what happened to you. :)

    Great pic of the sunset. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete