Friday, June 18, 2010

Getting Warmer, The Village Garden and A Major Discussion

Rantoul, IL.
70 deg. partly cloudy, W. wind @ 7 mph.
Forecast today = high temp. 90 deg. partly sunny, with a 40% chance of showers and t-storms, S. winds @ 10 to 15 mph.

The weather was pretty nice yesterday, but it ended up being a little more humid than the day before. Jim was out and about early and serviced my batteries, finally cleaned the bugs off of the front of me, and took a nice long bike ride.

All of this was done before Linda even got up. ;-)

The rest of the day was spent just kicking back, fooling around with the computers, taking naps, talking, and going out to eat at the Village Garden Restaurant over in Fisher, IL.

I'm told the Village Garden Restaurant is very nice. It's nothing fancy, but very clean with home cooked meals, good prices and friendly service. Fisher is about 12 miles from this CG, so it takes a little while to get there, but it's almost all country driving, so it doesn't take long.

Both Jim and Linda had pork tenderloin. Jim had the meal which came with green beans, mashed potatoes, salad and a roll. Linda had the tenderloin sandwich which came with soup and cottage cheese, (her choice).

Then, it was back here to watch TV until bedtime.

Now, a little bit ago, I said that Jim and Linda did some talking yesterday afternoon. Well, they talk a lot, but this conversation was about what they see in their full-timing future. They talked about what they would like to be doing in the next few years, where they would like to go, and most importantly to me, whether they wanted to keep traveling as much as they have, travel more, or only travel a little. They also talked about possibly parking me someplace and getting a small RV to travel with, or....... even trading me off for a newer RV!! :-(

Wow!!!! All of this got me worrying about my future!!!!

Well, after much discussion, it sounds like they are going to continue full-timing, in about the same way they have been, with possibly a little more traveling, and not quite so much sitting in one place.

That sounded good to me. :-)

The thing that I was really concerned about was the talk about trading me off on a newer or smaller RV! :-(

Well, after looking back at the budgets and my expenses, talking about what repairs I might need in the future, (which is really hard to determine), they've decided to keep traveling in me, even though I may be costing them quite a bit of money in the future. The logic being that they're very comfortable in me, I have a lot of storage and cargo carrying capacity, and, if they get a different used RV, there's no guarantee that it won't have problems too, and need a lot of repairs. Plus. to trade would mean financing and payments, which of course, they won't have if they keep me.

So...... it looks like I'll be around for awhile yet. I'm going to try real hard to get them where they want to go without any problems, and Jim said he's going to try real hard to not get upset with me when things do go wrong with me. And finally, Linda said that she's going to try real hard to stop getting up tight when it comes to spending money for maintenance and repairs.

It was a good discussion, and I think a lot of important things were talked about. Now, Jim and Linda both know how each other feels about their near term full-timing future, and they kind of have an idea about what they would like to be doing in the next few years. Of course none of this is cast in stone, and things do happen, so all of this may change, but at least now they know what they would like to do.

And, , , , , now I have an idea about what's going to happen to me.

Looks like you're going to be stuck with me for awhile yet!!!! ;-)

Today, I don't think there's anything much planned. It's supposed to be hotter and more humid than yesterday, and in fact, on TV they're saying that we can expect temperatures into the 90's for the next 7 days!!!!!

That's very unusual for this area!!

Did you know that in 1959, the comedy showcase "Second City" was founded in Chicago on North Wells Street in a former Chinese laundry?

3 comments:

  1. We had a discussion similar to that a couple days ago. I guess I need to do a post about it. But it boiled down to the realization that if we want to keep our house as a base, I can't retire for 5 more years - but since I'm dead set on retiring next year, the only way we can do it is to sell the house and full-time it. It took about 2 hours of talking, as well as looking at places on the internet, to realize that we can't tackle another mortgage or keep the old one if I retire next year. So, we'll be on the road in less than a year! Maybe we'll meet sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to stick around and keep traveling. It is a wonderful lifestyle and we are so blessed to be a part of it. Hopefully we will meet somewhere down the road. :)

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides all of that, Jim and Linda would be very, very sad if they had to part with you, Myrddin. You have such an RVality (same as personality). Hope to see all y'all again real soon. In the meantime, keep cool!!

    ReplyDelete