Friday, May 23, 2008

Radford to Heiskell and On The Soap Box Again

Heiskell, TN
54 deg. clear, no wind.
Forecast today = high temp. 84 deg. becoming partly sunny, with light winds. 30% chance of rain this afternoon.

Jim took this photo as we were driving down US 460 between Appomattox and Roanoke, VA. two days ago. It was our first good view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

This is a photo of me parked on my site at the Sportsman's Campground in Radford, VA. It's too bad that this CG is right next to I-81 and all of it's traffic noise.
This photo is of the New River, as seen from behind my site. Very scenic!
Because of the Holiday weekend, and the possibility of the CG becoming full, Jim and Linda wanted to get here to the Escapee Club RV Park in Heiskell before noon, if we could. So, we left Radford at about 7:30 AM. Now, this is really unusual! I don't think, (for as long as I have known Jim and Linda), that we have ever started out that early. Anyway, we continued SW on I-81 which took us through Bristol and then connected to I-40 which took us to Knoxville. Then, we took I-640 around to the North side of the city where we turned North on I-75. We took it about 10 miles to exit 117, where we turned West for about a mile, and to the Raccoon Valley RV Park.
We arrived here about 11:30 after traveling 227 miles.

Oh, the Park was not full when we arrived, and I doesn't look like it is going to fill up. Hmmm, gas prices keeping people home?

Now, I'm sorry, but I have to drive back up on my soap box again.

I'm wondering if some people have a death wish, or they are just plain stupid? The traffic on I-640 was terrible. They are doing some construction on I-40 in Knoxville, so they are directing through traffic around the city on 640. Anyway, there was this one SUV driver that almost caused a disaster. First of all he cut me off, and if Jim hadn't hit my brakes hard, there would have been an accident that made the National News. Then, after we got going again, this driver did the same thing to an 18 wheeler! I just can't understand what these people are thinking! Don't they understand that if a large Rig hits them, it's a good chance that they will die? Then to top it off, the news people will report on how this RV or 18 wheeler crashed into this poor little SUV driver and caused a 50 car pile-up!!

OK, enough soap box.

We have been here at this SKP park before. It's a nice little park that used to be a KOA park. It was pretty run-down when the Club bought it but they have upgraded the utilities and the office, and now it's right up there on top of Jim and Linda's favorite SKP parks. We'll be staying here until Tuesday.

Did you know that today is National taffy Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment