Edwards, MS.
93 deg. partly cloudy, slight breeze.
Forecast tonight= partly cloudy, lows on the lower 70's, light NW winds.
The Foscue Creek COE park near Demopolis is just great! The whole parking area at each site is cement, and there is a large gravel area where there is a table, fire ring/grill, and a post to hang your lantern or light on. The interior park roads are all blacktop, and there is nice, mowed green grass and trees everywhere. As an added bonus, Jim has what he calls his "Old Fogey Card" which gives him a 50% discount.
For $10 per night, we stayed for 2 nights! :-)
Yesterday, not too much happened. It was a day to just kick back and relax. For dinner, CLT took Jim and Linda into town and to the Farm House Restaurant. It's nothing fancy, but they have some very good home-cooked meals at reasonable prices.
Today, we left Demopolis at about 10:00 and continued West on US 80. When we came to I-20, Jim pulled me into a Texaco station that was just before the on-ramp. Well, that was a mistake! When Jim started fueling me up, the pump shut off at $100. Now, this might sound like a lot, but $100 only buys about 24 gallons of fuel. Well, the last drink I had, was way down in Lakeland, FL, and I was thirsty!! So, Jim went into the station and asked the gal if she could keep the pump running if he would leave the card with her. She said NO! She told Jim to just keep putting in the card every $100, and probably it would keep pumping out the 24 gallons each time. Well, it didn't. After the second time, the pump wouldn't take the card anymore. Grrrr!! Well, at least I got a drink, even though it wasn't big enough to fill me up.
By the way, don't stop at the Texaco station at the AL/MS state line on I-20, if you want good service. They don't care if you get fueled up or not!
Once on I-20, things went pretty smooth, at least for about 20 miles. After that, the road got steadily worse, with lots of dips and humps, but that wasn't the worst part! When we got to Jackson, the road got so bad that as I was going over one of the worst spots, I think I actually flew! There were a couple of dips and humps, and then a bridge approach, and when I hit that bridge, I'm pretty sure I was air-born!!! I mean everything inside of me flew around. Thankfully, all my cabinet doors stayed shut and nothing came tumbling out, but it was a real adventure for Jim and Linda as they opened each door, after we got here to the Askew's Landing Campground near Edwards.
Oh, I almost forgot to tell you about the 2 1/2 mile road that takes you to this CG. It is about 12' wide, is twisty turny, hilly, and rough! I don't think we ever got over 30 mph, and usually slower than that. But wait, I'm not done yet! The CG road (about 1/4 mile long), is gravel and in most places, only one lane! Thankfully we didn't meet anyone!!
When we finally got here at about 1:45, I had been on the road for 3 hrs and 45 minutes, (including the fuel stop), and traveled 175 miles.
As you can tell, I didn't have a real good day, but you know what? I was not sitting in a parking lot somewhere or even in a CG. I was on the road, seeing new things, discovering new places, and heading to Oregon to see Jeff!
Isn't this full-timing life-style great? :-) I'll try to be in a better mood tomorrow.
Did you know that on this date in 1902, Theodore Roosevelt became the first United States president to ride in an automobile?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment