Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Quartzsite, Tackiness, and Extending Our Stay

Quartzsite, AZ
47 deg. clear, no wind.
Forecast today = high temp. 81 deg. clear, East winds @ 5 mph.

I really wasn't happy with the photos I posted yesterday, so here are a couple more. This first one is of the desert and mountains to the front of me. This one shows how Jim parked me, (facing NW), so that there would be shade on my door side during the hottest part of the day. This shady area is where Jim spends a lot of time in the afternoons, listening to my radio and having a cold one now and then.
Not much happened around here yesterday morning. Jim spent some time outside, listening to the radio and drinking coffee, while Linda had breakfast and read her book. After lunch, they took CLT and went into Quartzsite to mail a birthday card, pick up some hamburger buns, and check out the town.
.
I don't think Jim and Linda were too impressed with Quartzsite. They said that most everything was pretty tacky, and had a kind of carnival atmosphere. They said that there were RV Parks everywhere, and tents scattered throughout the town with vendors selling everything you could think of. They also said that they couldn't begin to imagine what it must be like in January, when the shows actually begin, and many more vendors and and thousands of RVers come to town.
.
Neither Jim or Linda felt like making dinner, so while they were in town, they stopped at a Carl Jr's, (just like a Hardee's), and picked up a couple of sandwitches to bring back here.
.
Jim and Linda have been talking about how long we want to stay here. I think they finally decided that we would stay until Friday unless something unforeseen comes up to change their minds. Like I said yesterday, it's kind of neat here in the desert, and the price is sure right. Oh, I didn't tell you? Because this is public land, and we are not staying over 14 days, it's free!
.
You can't beat that!! :-)
.
Did you know that Quartzsite's population is about 3,350, but attracts about 1.5 million people annually, mostly in January and February for the gem and RV shows?

No comments:

Post a Comment